Jump to content
Finnick

Internet Bandwith

Recommended Posts

So I want all my internet's bandwith, I have no fucking clue how to do it, so if someone could help me then please do

 

my router brand is Actiontec  Image result for actiontec router    looks like this <<<

 

My ethernet cable snapped in two just about a half hour ago *worst timing EVER.* right when i was about to download Overwatch....

 

 


Adonie Had To Do It To Em by InvalidQuestionBeanie Pup Finnick YCH by InvalidQuestion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Achievements

Shut down other programs that you don't need (skype, your browser, etc).

Make sure no one else in the house is doing anything that needs a lot of bandwidth (streaming, downloading, etc).

If you're using Wi-Fi, get closer to the router.

If you're using ethernet, make sure all the cables are snug and in the right places.

Make sure your router/modem aren't old, anything made in the past three years should suffice.

If you still aren't getting the speed you're paying for, call your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ask them if they can do anything.


big signature below

 

 


flyingjoes_signature.png

thanks you to @Aura

 

me.png

~~~made by @King_Wailord~~~
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, flyingjoe32 said:

Shut down other programs that you don't need (skype, your browser, etc).

Make sure no one else in the house is doing anything that needs a lot of bandwidth (streaming, downloading, etc).

If you're using Wi-Fi, get closer to the router.

If you're using ethernet, make sure all the cables are snug and in the right places.

Make sure your router/modem aren't old, anything made in the past three years should suffice.

If you still aren't getting the speed you're paying for, call your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ask them if they can do anything.

The thing is, my router is near my fireplace in the other room OUTSIDE of my bedroom (WHERE MY PC IS.) 

I'm not sitting near the damn fireplace to play games and shit. 

 

so You're basically telling me the same things I've already known (which aren't helpful at all)

I've asked time and time again to get my router upgraded and it finally did recently. My internet provider is Sasktel, and they gave us some kind of shit "high quality" internet upgrade for everyone to have who wanted it.

 

I just want to use most of the bandwidth for my internet, because everyone else uses it so much more, and they're so fucking stupid that they can't even close a tab and leave them open for days.


Adonie Had To Do It To Em by InvalidQuestionBeanie Pup Finnick YCH by InvalidQuestion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Achievements

Try setting up QOS (Quality of service) if your router supports it.  You should be able to give your gmod more priority, and handled first.

Thanks,
Nap14hockey


wEEZhpy.jpg.54370668acb451a1bac8a5011679ce7b.jpg 

(Made by @Rose, thx :D)

 

[Former]- Breach Admin, OLD Purge SR. Admin, HnS admin, GMOD Murder admin, GMOD JB Admin, TTT Admin, Forum Moderator, Discord Moderator, Public Relations Team Member, Media Team Member

 

I'm out

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted  Edited by LittleRing - Edit Reason: I just saw Nap14Hockey's reply, whoops.
On 6/18/2016 at 4:36 PM, Finnick said:

The thing is, my router is near my fireplace in the other room OUTSIDE of my bedroom (WHERE MY PC IS.) 

I'm not sitting near the damn fireplace to play games and shit. 

 

so You're basically telling me the same things I've already known (which aren't helpful at all)

I've asked time and time again to get my router upgraded and it finally did recently. My internet provider is Sasktel, and they gave us some kind of shit "high quality" internet upgrade for everyone to have who wanted it.

 

I just want to use most of the bandwidth for my internet, because everyone else uses it so much more, and they're so fucking stupid that they can't even close a tab and leave them open for days.

 

I'm not sure with your kind of router, but my router, a Linksys E2500 has an option in its config menu called QoS. It gives priority to certain devices. Config menu being the default gateway (192.168.1.1). So you can try to see if your router can do the same.

Or

Contact your ISP and ask them about ways to limit bandwidth on certain devices.

Edited by LittleRing
I just saw Nap14Hockey's reply, whoops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, how much speed you get for wireless is all about placement (and of course how much you're paying for) so my best recommendation, is to turn off all other devices using your internet, and keep all applications closed except the one you're using to download overwatch. If you want, I would also recommend getting an extender, if you have ethernet ports wired into the walls in your house, and if possible move your router into a different room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to be rude, but you sound a little bit too young to do half of the things suggested in this thread.

I would suggest you don't fiddle around with your router settings, and instead guide others in the household on how to properly use their devices.

As for the original post, I don't see how you can manage to snap an Ethernet cable in two, but damn, if so, you're a wizard.


y81V.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2016 at 8:55 PM, Glacius said:

I don't want to be rude, but you sound a little bit too young to do half of the things suggested in this thread.

I would suggest you don't fiddle around with your router settings, and instead guide others in the household on how to properly use their devices.

As for the original post, I don't see how you can manage to snap an Ethernet cable in two, but damn, if so, you're a wizard.

Yeah, I snapped the cord because of bad wall / door installation. My door was underneath the door (close to the edge of the door)

So every time I opened my door, it would cut my cord.

 

Anyways, It's not that I'm too young to understand what it is, I find this super cringey now that I look back at it (even though it wasn't too long ago)

 

Yeah, what the problem was, is my router is placed really far away from my pc, which I should've known in the first place, since it was so badly installed.

We also got scammed from our internet provider, we're paying like 10 dollars more than we should for the internet plan we have.

 

 


Adonie Had To Do It To Em by InvalidQuestionBeanie Pup Finnick YCH by InvalidQuestion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Achievements

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...