Jat

Questions That Will Make You Think Twice

Questions That Will Make You Think Twice  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many holes are in a straw?

2. 2. Is water wet?

At my school, these two questions have been really big questions, and they can get confusing. I want to know your thoughts and opinions on these questions.

I would say that there is 1 hole in a straw, and water is wet.

If you think of a rubber band, there is one hole. A straw is 1 very dense hole.

If water wasn't wet, then it wouldn't make anything wet, I think. 

:benthinking:

w8AIJq0.png.557da6d2ae4ce9c69c1c9e3caee5ce0d.png
Made By @Lynx

jat.jpeg.cf67632929160b2d4e0df99335e7fba6.thumb.jpeg.a268ca114a3acfa34d666597b4d1a461.jpegMade By @Charmayy

jats.jpg.83ddf264efcb7e331c28d70f002fd3f5.jpg

Made By @Gary

c349e18f2f68dbbab87526fa779bfbb2.png?width=1080&height=345

Made By @Xy

-Jat

Straws have 2 holes. Just because they're connected with a long tube doesn't make them 1 lol. 

If you see 2 holes in the ground, but turns out there's a tunnel in there that connects them, does that make it 1 hole? No.

JerryBomb.png.e376b34f3abbf909e911ca905e69e9b5.png.148c6b4cfc47ce26dbdfacd59a6ef633.pngCreative Team of GFL.

That's it.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Charmy
21 minutes ago, JerryBomb said:

Straws have 2 holes. Just because they're connected with a long tube doesn't make them 1 lol. 

If you see 2 holes in the ground, but turns out there's a tunnel in there that connects them, does that make it 1 hole? No.

your logic hurts my head.

If there were two holes, and then you connected them, it'd be a giant hole because there's no separation

EDIT: https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/4941802/how-many-holes-does-a-straw-have-this-debate-is-driving-people-nuts/

If you wanna see more and make your own opinion

Edited by Charmy

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $943 ($530 with sales)
  • Games owned: 174
  • Games played: 112 (64%)
  • Hours on record: 5,797.5h

4 minutes ago, Charmy said:

your logic hurts my head.

If there were two holes, and then you connected them, it'd be a giant hole because there's no separation

take some aspirin.

How would 1 hole + 1 hole = a bigger hole? Separation? whaaaat? 

There's probably no point in even trying to argue about this, since this is obviously a paradox-ish question.

JerryBomb.png.e376b34f3abbf909e911ca905e69e9b5.png.148c6b4cfc47ce26dbdfacd59a6ef633.pngCreative Team of GFL.

That's it.

Achievements

All my straws have like 20 holes because I bend them a shit ton and then I can't drink from them. 

And wet means: Covered or saturated with water or another liquid. So water is wet because it is covered with other water. 

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

4 minutes ago, Aquaticfilly0 said:

ok, i have a question

1+1+1+1+1+1

1+1+1+1+1+1

1+1+1+1+1+1= ?

whats the answer?

work:

Written plainly without returning that is

1+1+1+1+1+11+1+1+1+1+11+1+1+1+1+1

which is 5+11+4+11+5 or 22+4+10

or 26+10

which is 36

tada

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Jat - Edit Reason: Spacing was messed up
4 minutes ago, Duc2000 said:

Wrong.

13 minutes ago, Aquaticfilly0 said:

ok, i have a question

1+1+1+1+1+1

1+1+1+1+1+1

1+1+1+1+1+1= ?

whats the answer?

work:

1+1+1+1+1+1 (random 1s and + sings)
1+1+1+1+1+1 (random 1s and + sings)
1+1+1+1+1+1=? (the real question)
1+1+1+1+1+1=6
tada

:lenny:

Edited by Jat
Spacing was messed up

w8AIJq0.png.557da6d2ae4ce9c69c1c9e3caee5ce0d.png
Made By @Lynx

jat.jpeg.cf67632929160b2d4e0df99335e7fba6.thumb.jpeg.a268ca114a3acfa34d666597b4d1a461.jpegMade By @Charmayy

jats.jpg.83ddf264efcb7e331c28d70f002fd3f5.jpg

Made By @Gary

c349e18f2f68dbbab87526fa779bfbb2.png?width=1080&height=345

Made By @Xy

-Jat

Posted  Edited by Joshy

Put your definitions to the test.  Is the only case of one hole the one with infinitesimally small length?

Uez9kXv.png

I doubt few would deny the one below is one hole with one opening although they could call it no holes and a dent instead, but what does this validate or invalidate above?

hmsgOr7.png

I think the confusion is the difference between what makes a hole and what makes an opening.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

9 hours ago, JerryBomb said:

If a straw has "2 holes", they wouldn't be "connected with a long tube".

Like Twig said, a straw only has 1 hole because of its depth (which makes it seem like 2 to you).

If you pierce a sphere with needle, it only has 1 hole because it's not separated by anything. It's just one "long tube", because it has a beginning and an end, but it doesn't mean they're 2 holes.

If it's still not clear to you I don't know what else to do to make it even more clear.

original.gif

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Zexired - Edit Reason: spelling mistakes -2am idiocy

What if you pierce the side of the straw, does it add an exta 1 hole, or a total of two holes As well?

Edited by Zexired
spelling mistakes -2am idiocy

4 hours ago, Zexired said:

What if you pierce the side of the straw, does it afd an exta 1 hole, or a total of two holes? As well

Yes since you made another hole it would be 2 holes. A straw only has one hole since it never is disconnected. Water isn't wet. Your hand is wet when you take it out but when it is in water it will not be wet.

jinnd1.png

5 hours ago, Korowa said:

If a straw has "2 holes", they wouldn't be "connected with a long tube".

Like Twig said, a straw only has 1 hole because of its depth (which makes it seem like 2 to you).

If you pierce a sphere with needle, it only has 1 hole because it's not separated by anything. It's just one "long tube", because it has a beginning and an end, but it doesn't mean they're 2 holes.

If it's still not clear to you I don't know what else to do to make it even more clear.

13 hours ago, Joshy said:

I think the confusion is the difference between what makes a hole and what makes an opening.

Ohhh, I think I understand now. 

The CONNECTION between 2 openings makes 1 hole, right? Like a doughnut, or Joshy's graph lol.

That makes sense now.

I've been converted

That's it.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Joshy

In fairness to Jerry: How about now?

Clearly a third opening, but is it the same hole?

JUfx2e7.png

You could claim since it's coming out of a "new" opening, that it's not, but what about the differences between the first example

This comes out of the same opening

hmsgOr7.png

and the second one comes out of a "new" opening; namely: The other side.

X1N2aPU.png

So:  If the first two are one hole, but a different number openings, then shouldn't the first one be one hole too by our definition?  Maybe the number of branches should be considered although if one can turn around, then why can't the other?

(I'm not inferring my own answer here, but just asking some questions)

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

THERE IS ONE HOLE JUST TWO OPENINGS TO THE SAME HOLE.

The definition of wet is "covered or saturated with water or another liquid." So in order for something to be wet it has to be covered or in water. You need both water and something else to make wetness.

I9MhKK5.png

Think of it this way: if you add more water to something, it becomes more wet. Right?

Well, if you add more water to water, it doesn't become more wet. It has the same amount of moisture because it is the thing that GIVES moisture. Therefore, water is not wet. I will fight people in this.

The token gay girl of GFL. What am I doing right now, you ask?? Sliding in your ma's DM's ;)))))

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 8.06.59 PM.png

No

Because whether how many opening there is, I still believe it's two. If you covered one side, there's one. If you covered the other side, there's another. So 2.

I put no because water is technically not really wet more so I believe it's vapor/gas. I know it can still be wet even if it's gas form but I wouldn't consider it as a wet form.

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements