kneegerrlover123

The Event Coordinator Team

nch4c3.png

Hi, I'm Syntax. I'm a former GFL EC Team Member, and I request the Re-Formation of the Team.

2myp6ia.png

I'd love to make a full thread where I can fully express myself about this topic but I'll attempt to keep things short and simple, organized and comprehensible.

First of all - The team was a massive success. It had managed to create a handful of events some in coordination with GCC and other without, but in general we have definitely filled our goal and delivered an awesome experience for the community, one could argue that the team didn't allow all members to participate and didn't organize events as quickly, sure thing but we definitely managed to fulfill our purpose and have even went further to return home with a victory. Some examples of  events we organized are The PUBG Tournament, The TF2 Fun Night, The L4D2 Event, and many others... Most events that the community participated in and had the EC Team's Support surely paid off as GFL emerged victorious multiple times.

Second of all - It definitely pulled off. It had accomplished a very important goal and fed GFL's need for new sources of advertisement, we managed to push GFL as a community further and the progress was pretty insane, people joined us from different communities, and others that had no community to dedicate their time into chose GFL before all, that's simply because of the fact that we were constantly forwarding GFL as a ready product for all gamers to join and have fun playing, some wins we got while participating in certain events also paid off.

Third of all - I personally believe that the death of the team was slowly the result of it merging with the Media Team which caused a lot of confusion, merging the EC and Media Team seemed like a very logical idea and was up-voted for the most part, but I personally never liked it, and once the two teams merged lots of things just went downhill, then it was the Council Team's job to do events from then on, which is not the case now, and thus it is all reliant on one or two persons with no official title to post events from time to time.

Last but not Least - I strongly conceive the fact that the EC Team in a time of Triumph has definitely served it's sole purpose which is advertising GFL as a whole, and that's why I think that bringing it back with the correct settings would definitely help the community advance and strengthen, events are a very awesome fun way to pull everything and everyone together into one task and have them enjoy it.

If you have any serious comments or arguments please put them below! Thanks, Syntax.

Achievements

I disagree with most of what you say about the former "team". Several of the team members were rather inactive, some didn't wish to work as a team and not enough events were put together. The simple lack of commitment from the former team Was the reason for it to be removed and the Council at That time took the task though it has its promblems. I do agree events should be brought back but I believe it should be left for PR to advertise it and perhaps have some event coordinators assigned to it. The last team lacked a leader That ensured enough quality events. I believe @Unknown might want a say on This matter as the PR leader?

Nerd

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Syntax
1 hour ago, Worgee said:

I disagree with most of what you say about the former "team". Several of the team members were rather inactive, some didn't wish to work as a team and not enough events were put together. The simple lack of commitment from the former team Was the reason for it to be removed and the Council at That time took the task though it has its promblems. I do agree events should be brought back but I believe it should be left for PR to advertise it and perhaps have some event coordinators assigned to it. The last team lacked a leader That ensured enough quality events. I believe @Unknown might want a say on This matter as the PR leader?

I'm extremely rusty and outdated, excuse my misunderstanding but I'm kinda speaking from a point of view where's the era's before I was demoted or at least early on. Somewhere around October-February. I was demoted around February, the last event that was there when I was around was the CS:GO Extravaganza. Yes I agree after that the team went downhill, which I expressed in my 3rd argument.

Edited by Syntax

Achievements

Just now, Joshy said:

It was a massive success?

Yes it was. October-February. Check the events section, and the fact that we won many events just proves my point even further. Also, a lot of people never knew what GFL was until we connected with different communities.

Achievements

34 minutes ago, Syntax said:

Yes it was. October-February. Check the events section, and the fact that we won many events just proves my point even further. Also, a lot of people never knew what GFL was until we connected with different communities.

It was successful because we had good players who won events?

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

You guys are missing his point.

2 hours ago, Worgee said:

What would PR have to do with events? 

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png
image.png.c3ced03940ca3f9bff0b8c6b1b425d4f.png

1 hour ago, Pyros said:

What would PR have to do with events? 

As I said, we stream, record and promote GFL. aka. We are already at the events, we are going to get information for the events and we will publish material for/from the event (currently only GCC stuff when they choose to make some events). 

Nerd

Achievements

Posted  Edited by rapperdan
1 hour ago, Worgee said:

As I said, we stream, record and promote GFL. aka. We are already at the events, we are going to get information for the events and we will publish material for/from the event (currently only GCC stuff when they choose to make some events). 

Wait so my issue that keeps seeming to pop it's head out from the grave over and over again is well when I look at all these pr teams and media team etc etc

I keep seeing a common issue arise a public relations team is dependent on one common thing the ability to connect with the people and not yourself.

you guys wonder why this is a common issue or I bet the people who choose others wonder why, but not really the people on said team because let's be honest with ourselfs every time one of these teams are created they don't end up helping us they end up tearing shit down ruining our relations with the public but we keep asking our selfs why does this keep happening well we keep recycling the same people and tbh all I see out of worgee's statement is that of conflict of self interest. while personal I don't think that team did very well atleast in my eyes and all around I never exactly expected much from them neither do I expect much from a lot of the other teams that have formed after that one was made.

now people might ask why I feel this way and it's simple history has an odd habit of well repeating it's self and untill we are forced to change we never will who knows when this wake up call might hit us hard one could say it might be to late and the damage would be to hard to repair but how long will we keep recycling the same bs before we realize we need to attempt to change our ways and get people on what matters our servers.

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

2 hours ago, Worgee said:

We are already at the events, we are going to get information for the events and we will publish material for/from the event (currently only GCC stuff when they choose to make some events). 

We can gather information and stream events, then send that information over to writers in the Media team to add things to the monthly newsletter.
Creating events that would support charity and help others would create a good public image plus actually support a charity which is always nice.

I agree with you that we should bring back an event team, it would be nice to have more ways of expressing ourselves and connecting with other communities rather than staying isolated. Plus, events allow us to connect with players that already play on our servers so they know there's more going on, even if they don't hop on the forums all that often. This could make them interested in becoming more active overall in the community.
We'll see where this goes, but I can support the return of an event team. More fun for players, more players stay.

Hope your day has been good so far, go ahead and move onto the next comment, I got nothin' for you anymore :) 

8 hours ago, Syntax said:

thus it is all reliant on one or two persons

Didn't EC have 2 people on the team? and you got demoted from toxicity in the media team discord, also "Public relations" that means keeping the public happy and improving relationships with them right? So why not throw events in with em?

Former: CSGO DL

Former: CSGO TTT Manager

Posted  Edited by Syntax
37 minutes ago, Bonk said:

Didn't EC have 2 people on the team? and you got demoted from toxicity in the media team discord, also "Public relations" that means keeping the public happy and improving relationships with them right? So why not throw events in with em?

At first it did, and I was one of the very early members, probably the first, I can't really recall, and Yes I was demoted for toxicity, not exactly toxicity but simply obnoxious behavior and refusing to co operate, not going through details but you do remember me trying to work with you once or twice to make a CS:GO Event, you gotta give me that. For the most part, our relationship with other communities was definitely healthy and I never actually had any negative impact on it whatsoever, instead I was actually pretty communicative to the point that I was promoted to Ambassador thanks to ImageEx mentioning my efforts as a member for representing the community.

1 hour ago, Unknown said:

We can gather information and stream events, then send that information over to writers in the Media team to add things to the monthly newsletter.
Creating events that would support charity and help others would create a good public image plus actually support a charity which is always nice.

I agree with you that we should bring back an event team, it would be nice to have more ways of expressing ourselves and connecting with other communities rather than staying isolated. Plus, events allow us to connect with players that already play on our servers so they know there's more going on, even if they don't hop on the forums all that often. This could make them interested in becoming more active overall in the community.
We'll see where this goes, but I can support the return of an event team. More fun for players, more players stay.

Thanks Unknown! But hopefully if it does return I'd like it to be lead by Darkling, since he was a pretty decent leader back in the day when it was irrelevant and hadn't got any attention from the directors yet, one thing I definitely do agree on is that from the start it definitely had a pretty poor structure, stuff was ran in conversations and it was a pretty small team, but still as @Pyros mentioned in an earlier thread: Quality > Quanity. 

5 hours ago, Duc2000 said:

It was successful because we had good players who won events?

Yes, and if poorly managed we wouldn't of had recruited these good players and/or not correctly done the teams. I had a main structure for each event everytime, ideas such as Team Leaders having permissions and working on their own team, team names, the ability to assign a sub yourself, people were given power to do things themselves which as an idea paid off great since most of the times the Leaders did great. (It was something you had to apply for)

PS: Any event from later February I do not know of, I was no longer part of the team by then so please don't bash me for something I never made or participated in making.

Edited by Syntax

Achievements

Trying to work with me on a csgo event? I have the post where I said hey if u guys wanna do a csgo event I got a server we can use. Then u sending me a template which basically requires the person requesting the event to set it up.

Former: CSGO DL

Former: CSGO TTT Manager

I'm not convinced it would work without understanding the lessons learned, but I don't think re-introducing an Event Team would be a costly investment.

If I were in a position of leadership and to re-introduce the team, then I would be very interested in how to make this a sustainable program.  I think the idea of having an Event Team isn't a bad one and it has worked elsewhere; I also believe the pathway for success here is losing that strong dependency on leadership.  The setup I feel being staged is more of an Event Team relying on Staff to help them, and I'd rather see it step down and to be bidirectional.  What does that mean?  Event Team shouldn't be waiting for Staff to move forward and to support the idea; just do it and make it happen.  Provide the events for the members, and support the members in realizing their events.

I really covered a lot in this past response to a thread.  The Event Team really needs to be their own drive and willing to take risks.  They need to be okay with failure.  The past team was not a massive success, and it sputtered out.  You're going to be running in circles if this lesson hasn't been learned.  More importantly: You cannot and should not make the event team the primary drive.  Your primary drive needs to be the members.  I would really make the Event Team more of a support team for members hosting events.  I had hoped the event team would come up with easy templates available for the greater forums, and to encourage people to post their events...  older templates looked more like a ban appeal thread (to suggest events) and the fancy ones were stored away for privileged media team members.  Take advantage of the badges and possibly create a point system or other rewards to encourage member activity.

Not just for the event team, but the Staff should consider this: There's a price to pay.  I always talk about trade-offs; I do it for a living too.  I think covered it well here in regards to people management.  I'm not speaking to anyone's benefit as it's about what your team can tolerate versus your expectations; my point is you usually cannot have both.  Sometimes people will not be your favourite and might even be toxic, but do you leave with a surplus?  You guys did lose a few champions (vaguely speaking and no intention of inferring anyone).  Sometimes the right answer isn't always right.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: tired

Gigantic team.  Not sure how they'll manage all those people.

Uo1Nvca.png

(Reference)

I don't disagree with the OP, that merging the teams was very poorly implemented; they were/are too scattered when I had a good look last and acting like separate teams from within, and there were still a lot of dependency on staff while the purpose of these teams is meant (or should be) to alleviate them of their tasks so they can concentrate on bigger projects or guide many projects.  I still think the concept of merging was a very good idea with advertising goals, but being a good idea isn't good enough.  Just the tip of the iceberg with a few posts above...  it's too much to cover and would be wasteful of me to continue.

Edited by Joshy
tired

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

34 minutes ago, Worgee said:

That list is not update... lol

Yah we can see that and well that does not exactly help the media teams case on being a good and well active team.

Achievements