Bue.

Add a Forum Banner-Theme-Song?

Posted  Edited by Bue.

Very quickly,

What if it was possible to add an audio display to your Forum Banner?!?!?? (So when you put your curser over your own banner, it plays the selected song you chose ..? Or hovering over someone else's, you hear there's?) Not sure if this makes sense.

But this could go .. very badly and be very hard to moderate throughout all of the players so .. perhaps it was just for Trusted Staff? Maybe draw the line at Server Managers?+ Or.. possibly higher? (Could also be seen as a staff perk;) )

Edited by Bue.

Posted  Edited by Joshy

Roles like Trusted+ don't need anymore flair and are often overly glorified... it would not benefit the general community and might even make them unnecessarily resent their leaders a little bit with jealousy.  I think an example of this...  I felt the hall of fame badge was not well-received.  People may have spoke well of it during the announcement, but you don't see it going out to anyone else and I would bet that a lot of people have already forgotten about its existence (I don't think it does).

It would be insane if everyone and their mom were getting these banners.  I think you recognized that, but just went in the direction I wouldn't have aimed for.  I think the better way would be to make it VIP/donator and possibly limit it that way.  Where I'm getting stuck is how to remove it from their account after it expires (could something like that be automated if the idea is even at all possible?).

I know so far as adding it to the account if it's possible, that we could make it some type of form or thread that a Staff member can verify and then add it to their account.  The other part about making it VIP/supporter is that it feels like they have no perks on the forums, and so this would be a nice gesture towards their donation.  I'm open to including Teams such as Writers, Event Coordinators, Social Media, Developers and Server Managers (personally I'm okay if I were left out although it wouldn't be fair for me to speak for the other Moderators including incoming ones)...  sorry but I think Server Admin is pushing it they probably benefit from free-ish Support/VIP on their servers (wouldn't exclude them from donating too though)...  so long as the others can get it first, then I'm okay afterwards if Staff/Trusted+ would like to advertise the perks on their accounts too.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I do not think that by hovering over a profile banner, music should play. This would not work on mobile, nor would it work very well on PC. If you wanted to listen to a full song, you would have to sit there... with your cursor hovering over the profile banner, not very user friendly. Despite this, I'm fine with adding a little audio player to profiles.

Example: https://gflclan.com/profile/1028-liloz01/ (for the time being, this will remain as the only profile with the feature for testing and feedback)

Obviously, the audio doesn't have to be a "song", any .mp3 will work (as long as it's under 8MB, which is about 4~5 minutes at 320kbps, good enough for pretty much any song).

I intend for this to be a GFL StoreTM item, purchasable for... a stupid amount of money, or for it to just be bundled with ranks, like VIP. Perhaps it could be a staff perk, who knows! To comment on the Moderation side of things, if a user decides to buy this and do something stupid with it... lol. Waste of their money, Moderators will be able to remove songs and blacklist users.

Some screenshots:

How it's uploaded:

image.png

The audio player is currently pretty yucky, I'm going to be looking around for a custom javascript audio player:

image.png

But hey, working prototype, doesn't look half bad on mobile either. Let me know what you think.

P.S. Autoplay will be available for $500 ;)

Contact me here or on Discord @Liloz01#9857

For help with anything Forum related: 

We actually had this suggestion multiple times in the far past, but it was rejected due to it being too intrusive to users. As Liloz said, no one's going to hover their mouse over someone's banner for a full song either. I'd honestly love for this to be implemented, but mods will likely have a lot of regulating to do on this. Should probably only be a supporter+ thing to start with.

Pt5iuHl.png

I won't take a photo—I'll tell it through words.

Achievements

1 hour ago, Liloz01 said:

If you wanted to listen to a full song, you would have to sit there...

When I pictured it, I was more of thinking it being a certain part of a song... ... ...... for some reason, that made sense to me.

45 minutes ago, Shuruia said:

no one's going to hover their mouse over someone's banner for a full song

I agree with what both of you said by this, though, my idea was the only thing that really popped in my mind at first to actually get the music to play on someone's profile... but I really liked how you set it up, Liloz. Thanks for considering!

This is a really great idea.

Regarding who would have the ability to use it, I'd absolutely reserve it for donators. If someone is receiving the ability as a perk through a package they're paying for, the likelihood of it being misused drastically decreases. Like @Liloz01 mentioned, they'd just be wasting their money. I'd also definitely bundle it in with either of the current donator packages as opposed to making it a separate purchasable item. I just generally think you'd see more people buying the perk if they were also getting a bunch of other benefits with it, and as @Joshy mentioned, currently both of the donator packages seem to have little to no perks on the forums. And again, with it as a donator perk I don't think you'd see nearly anyone misusing it and even if that was the case, we have the forum moderators to oversee it.

Now here's something that might have a bit more opposition, but I think profile videos would be cool as well. Obviously the first thing that'd come to anyone's mind is how easy it is to misuse. Absolutely fair, though I still think the likelihood of that happening is low. Especially if you reserve it for the top package; VIP. I'd give profile songs to Supporter and give both songs and videos to VIPs. But honestly, if we were uncomfortable with this idea because of the opportunity for abuse, I'd understand. For reference, here's videos: https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8595-profile-video/

Perhaps there's a way for us to implement a system where Moderators simply have to approve the songs and videos before they get added to the profiles, or Moderators just manually add them by request. Liloz would have to comment. It'd probably be a bit of extra manual labor on the Moderators though, and the majority might not be a fan of that.

Big +1 for songs though.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Profile Songs are now available to Forum Moderators so they can get a feel of the system to create rules surrounding it (also lets them learn how to actually use the system. (It's pretty simple, you press add and you get to add a song to a profile, you press remove and it removes the song from a profile) lol). I guess it's also good for finding bugs.

Still undecided on who to give this perk to. Still need to add a blacklist and report feature.

• 1 year later...

This has been done for nearly 2 years, profile songs will remain as a donor perk and all other aspects of the suggestion discussed have been implemented.

Moving this post to implemented, if you feel like there's any suggestins you would like to make related to this in future please create a new suggestion thread.