Dale Gribble.

age requirement

On Admin Applications there should be a age requirement to be staff my fear is having kids who are not mature enough to handle such power to abuse it on everyone else, making the "game" not enjoyable to some and lowering the player count to 15,13,10 etc. 

i would love to hear you're takes on this! thank you and have a good day/night/evening/morning/afternoon!

Posted  Edited by BlazingArson

I've seen a few kids who are 12-14 handle admin responsibilities very well. Adding an age requirement would put more of a focus on age than maturity, since many people don't think it's possible for someone who is under 16 to be mature.
At the most, i would maybe check that every admin is 13+, just because of discord's age limit.

Edited by BlazingArson

1023626940_forumsignature.thumb.png.6378b8a403e329b9a4bf21267af67896.png
Made by @Clavers

Due to laws regarding children online, you must be at least 13 to use the forums or our discords. We have to remove accounts that violate this. So I guess that is already the age limit. That said, I would support a higher requirement, but managers are generally trusted to go case by case.

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

As @BlazingArson has mentioned, I believe there are capable youngsters out there that are able to handle staffing roles maturely and effectively. Hell, I've seen older teens or even adults who definitely are more immature compared to some of the current young staff members. I think age should be a consideration as a gauge for someone to become admin, but should not be a requirement. Like it's an easy way to tell if someone may be mature for their age, or may not be. Besides, admin applications have current staff members (generally mature and reasonable individuals) seeing if that person is up for the role of being professional and well composed, so if they fit the bill and they're younger, by all means are they eligible for applying. 

There are plenty of younger staff who act more mature than staff that are 10 years older than them. Like stated before, the question of becoming staff ought not be through age, but through maturity. Having said that, still, lots of children should be denied staff because of their immaturity, not their age. However, it is a reasonable concern to have because children at times don't think logically because of their age but I've never seen this be an issue. 

1220477669_DirtyNapalm.png.0392f56ab3131f658f6d2af6d68aab6e.png

(Thank you @Mister Spiffy for the banner)

Achievements

8 hours ago, Dale Gribble. said:

lowering the player count to 15,13,10 etc.

I was 14 when I got RUST Division Leader & Council. It's possible to find "youngsters" that are capable, but not likely. 

Posted  Edited by TheThirdReaper

Age shouldn't be a requirement. It should only be included in their admin app forms. The worst people I've met have been in their mid 20's.

Edited by TheThirdReaper

Achievements

Honestly, I think age isn't the issue, its mainly maturity. I was a manager at age 14-15 and was staff on multiple servers before that because I became more mature over the years. When OG purge was up, I was definitely not mature and would have probably been super power hungry if I was given admin, luckily I was denied. As you get older, you get more mature, but some people become mature at a very young age. Take @SirAdair for example, I am pretty sure he was an admin at age 12 and he was pretty good at it. Another example would be Gekkota, he was a deathrun admin at like age 10. He was also really good at doing what he needed to do. As @TheThirdReaper said, I have seen admins that are over the age of 20 being absolute power hungry dick heads for no reason and dedicating their lives to a game like GMOD. (Mainly in another community)

As long as managers are capable of finding mature staff that don't act power hungry, their servers will be good. 

jitticus

It also has a lot to do with people's personality and/or how they're raised. Therefore, having the fear of accepting the wrong people is always going to be present and there's unfortunately no way to be 100% sure who you're accepting and if it's a good idea to bring them to the team. 

But to attempt to feel more content with your choice, you could always set up an interview process apart from the application process to get more of a feel of who you may be accepting, and to hopefully get a visual on what their true intentions are. BUT this would also depend on how much you really care and/or if you have the time to actually pursue this, etc.

I was in the GFL discords since I was 11 or younger and was admin when I was 12. (this was one of the biggest mistakes of my life btw)
I was matured, well at least on the server and did the right things and was able to handle things correctly.  I then resigned when I was 14 because I had better things to do.

Age can be a major factor of who you are choosing but It's just how the person is honestly and how they act around the community.

unknown.png.3804adb81bcedc6c6c564f1dc9fcbf01.png

Achievements

The youngest admin we've ever had on HnS was 10 and they were actually pretty good. Sure, age can affect personality, but it doesn't determine personality and it definitely shouldn't be something people look at and reject someone purely based off that.

That being said, I've also held the position that admins under 14 (which is HnS age requirement) barely ever even get accepted when they reply, so it's kinda redundant anyway imo.

One last point, I'm with @TheThirdReaper in that 20+ year olds can be just as bad as people under 13, and are sometimes even worse. The worst two people were in their mid teens, then a few people who were around 19-21 would be the next ones.

-Brotherwolf

One of the seniors on Rotation is the youngest staff member there, yet they're always polite, professional, kind and fun to be around. People mature at different rates, just as people have different requirements about what maturity should be. I don't think imposing an age limit is the best strategy. That's what the Trial period is for, to weed out the weak.

Achievements

4 hours ago, Aurora said:

Due to laws regarding children online, you must be at least 13 to use the forums or our discords. We have to remove accounts that violate this. So I guess that is already the age limit. That said, I would support a higher requirement, but managers are generally trusted to go case by case.

im 12 and a half ill be 13 in 6 months

1 hour ago, LawMyl said:

I was in the GFL discords since I was 11 or younger and was admin when I was 12. (this was one of the biggest mistakes of my life btw)
I was matured, well at least on the server and did the right things and was able to handle things correctly.  I then resigned when I was 14 because I had better things to do.

Age can be a major factor of who you are choosing but It's just how the person is honestly and how they act around the community.

oh you were also exposed to some non-12 year old things in the admin chat lmfao

Former Gmod Prop Hunt Admin

Former Media Team Team Leader

Former Media Team GFX Member

Posted  Edited by Toxic

i think it's as simple as judging it person by person... doesn't really require a minimum

if a person's immature, they're immature. if they're not, they're not.

Edited by Toxic

Achievements

13 minutes ago, Dale Gribble. said:

I mean the whole purpose of age requirment is to make sure that no members that are under 13 get staff, So why hire 10 to 12 year olds? 

Why discriminate based off age? This is what I hate about gaming communities, people always hate on the kids. They've got a high pitched voice, so what? We all did once upon a time. They talk a lot, and? All kids do. They're not of the age of maturity, says who? People mature at different rates. Some kids are just wanting to have a good time, enjoy their lives, and if online gaming is how they want to do it, then good for them. No need to discriminate them because they were born after you. That's why I implemented the rule on Rotation, "Kids will only be muted if their mic quality is bad or if they're spamming" so they know they're welcome to speak without worry about themselves being muted.

To discriminate them based off age is not the way to do things. Let them show their worth and they can be a great asset to the community.

Achievements

Just now, Duck. said:

Why discriminate based off age? This is what I hate about gaming communities, people always hate on the kids. They've got a high pitched voice, so what? We all did once upon a time. They talk a lot, and? All kids do. They're not of the age of maturity, says who? People mature at different rates. Some kids are just wanting to have a good time, enjoy their lives, and if online gaming is how they want to do it, then good for them. No need to discriminate them because they were born after you. That's why I implemented the rule on Rotation, "Kids will only be muted if their mic quality is bad or if they're spamming" so they know they're welcome to speak without worry about themselves being muted.

To discriminate them based off age is not the way to do things. Let them show their worth and they can be a great asset to the community.

How is it discriminating if i'm just saying what i think?