How to learn a new language

clickbait title to pull you in but i do have a serious question.

Does anyone know of any free resources to reliably learn a second language?

i've been interested in learning a second language (probably german or spanish at first) for some time now and i was wondering if anybody had any free resources they'd be willing to share?

I'd buy grammar book (there are a few free websites out there, but it depends on the language) and use flashcards for vocab. Practice flashcards often and try speaking to yourself in the language that you choose to learn.

I don't know about any of those services that claim to teach you a second language easily, but you could try one of those too.

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

My university had "language conversation tables."  I would see if I there is a nearby university with a strong study abroad or international group hosting something similar.

I'll try setting up things in other languages such as reading the news, using social media, playing games, computer settings, watch movies etc. in another language.

Buying the books aren't usually free, but I would be surprised if there's no public library nearby.  They set a great foundation and give you something to work with.

Make friends who speak that language and practice with them.

Some companies or jobs are willing to pay you to learn a language, give you a raise, or support your coursework for it; some are also willing to teach you the language.

Someone told me about Duolingo.  I heard it's really good although I have never tried it.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

28 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Someone told me about Duolingo.  I heard it's really good although I have never tried it.

I've used Duolingo before. It is definitely worth a try.

original.gif

Achievements

If you don’t mind, I can link you several ASL dictionary sites and amazon link to buy the book jut to learn. Might be difficult, but it’ll be worth it.

The book shouldn’t be expensive to buy. 

(ASL and English is my primary language)

76561198043643390.png

Posted  Edited by rapperdan

as much as I hate to say it I don't know of any good free learning out there for learning a language but I would recommend https://www.rosettastone.com/ the learning approach they take is simply how a language is ment to be learned, the same way you learn your first one when you are a baby.

also I'd like to say if you do not use it you will most likely lose it.

fyi I studied another language for a breif time using that, you will most likely pick up on things faster then you normally would.

just don't be me and lose every ability to speak it or the small things you knew.

but ya sadly never had much of a practical use for it :L

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

44 minutes ago, rapperdan said:

as much as I hate to say it I don't know of any good free learning out there for learning a language but I would recommend https://www.rosettastone.com/ the learning approach they take is simply how a language is ment to be learned, the same way you learn your first one when you are a baby.

also I'd like to say if you do not use it you will most likely lose it.

fyi I studied another language for a breif time using that, you will most likely pick up on things faster then you normally would.

just don't be me and lose every ability to speak it or the small things you knew.

but ya sadly never had much of a practical use for it :L

I would suggest to first learn how to properly speak your own language, before giving out tips on the easiest way of learning a foreign one. :shrug:

Former CS:GO Surf RPG Deathmatch EU/US Admin.

My Steam Profile

glitter weed emoticonFeel free to add me on Steam if you need to ask me something.

sig.php?player_id=2031453&background=1

Definitely don't use public schools. 3 years of Spanish and I think I haven't learned much since Spanish 1 or midway through Spanish 2

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

if your learning french fake it i did it and i passed high school french so yea 10/10

.eJwVzEEOhCAMAMC_8ABaC0L0NwQJkogltJ42-_ddM_f5mGdeZjen6pAd4GiSeR5WlGeqxVbmepU0mtjMHZJqymcvtwrQhs6vHqMPjrYXOES3hCWsRIjR-UjQ-r8RO-5qvj_gJCIu.t46Loz1YH4dqwtzyP7UxuKymbe4Capture.PNG.4c9bc5dbf21f8a1679c5bd711f1f064e.PNG

Former Manager On Hide and Seek

Former Admin  on prop hunt

Former trail admin on breach 

34 minutes ago, Duc2000 said:

Definitely don't use public schools. 3 years of Spanish and I think I haven't learned much since Spanish 1 or midway through Spanish 2

That's odd. Over here, public schools teach us foreign languages very well.

original.gif

Achievements

Posted  Edited by rapperdan
5 minutes ago, Misaki said:

Join us in this place called the great americas.

fyi this continents schooling is trash tfw it goes behind one single country and is a whole continent fucking :rip:

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

Posted  Edited by TankKommandant Jill - Edit Reason: You is only a mythical word ITS NOT REAL

Firstly:
There are apps and shit @motorsteak that you can use on mobile that go from basics right up to bilingual  v e r b o s i s m, some you have to pay for, others are free.
And the second question:
A useful second language would be either French/Chinese/Spanish and or Portuguese.
French- Many post colonial countries are french speaking (Asian spice trade countries.
Chinese- The new language for business, kinda needed for modern day as China is ever growing .
Spanish and or Portuguese- A lot of S. America speak these, mexico Spanish as well.

The language depends on what you want to do in future, so tailor it for specific niches 

Edited by TankKommandant Jill
You is only a mythical word ITS NOT REAL

1 hour ago, Misaki said:

He lives in Flordia.

(Not saying the quality is any better anywhere else in the US)

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png