Ben

Save Net Neutrality

I wrote a paper on this a while back:

Net Neutrality

On February 26, 2015, the FCC's Open Internet rules were created to protect free expression on the Internet and promote investment in the nation's broadband networks. The Open Internet rules are based on Title II of the Communications Act and Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. The FCC rules provides framework needed for innovators and investors, and the competitive choices and freedom demanded by consumers. The rules prevented internet service providers from restricting content or reducing speed for content they do not own. (Open Internet)

I believe people should have access to content they want to see and not be restricted by their service providers. I have this stance because people already have to pay service providers for internet access.

The constitutional principle that applies is, Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” The internet service providers are trying to change the rules that will affect Freedom of Speech. Even though the Constitution was written in 1791, the internet is a modern form of communication just like the press and speech was back in 1791. By the internet  service providers restricting media and content they are restricting freedom of speech and press.

The Congress is looking to change the FCC rules because of lobbying by the internet service providers.

The FCC’s Open Internet rules reclassified internet service providers as “Common Carriers”. This means that internet service providers can not restrict or limit speed for competitors content. This is a restriction of corporate rights and they believe that it restricts innovation. Here are some pros for regulating internet providers: (Net Neutrality Pros and Cons)

- Network neutrality avoids that ISPs charge online services such as Skype and  Netflix for fast lanes. These extra costs for fast lanes are an issue because they can make the services more expensive for internet users and can prevent small companies from the capacity to compete with the big companies.

- Net neutrality avoids discrimination among users. Without regulations some companies can change premium fees to create pay to play systems.

- Network neutrality helps to promote freedom of choice, as ISPs cannot obstruct or incentivize particular contents or sites over others.

- Anti-blocking and anti-discrimination rules prevent ISPs limiting access or promote some  type of content. The role of ISPs is to only transport data to the users that have paid for delivery, and therefore they should not restrict content consumption.

Net neutrality evens playfield for competing companies.

From a common good perspective, the internet service providers have a monopoly on delivering content to users. What that means is some internet users don't have a lot of choices for internet service providers. Here are some pros for allowing internet providers to do what they want: (Net Neutrality Pros and Cons)

- Regulation on net neutrality would limit new business ideas and concepts and could be considered against free market rules.

- Sponsored content and pay-to-play schemes could go against net neutrality, but they can help companies improve the overall service they offer. Heavier internet users may be charged more.

- Regulation for net neutrality may limit the tools of governments and ISPs to fight against piracy. ISPs or governments won't be able to block or filter these contents, if net neutrality is fully respected. Similarly net neutrality rules make more difficult to monitor and control adult content.

I believe that service providers should be regulated to make sure customers are able to access the surface web. This should be done because customers have already paid for their internet service. It would become a pay to play system if service providers choose to add additional fees to access information. To add, some customers do not have access to more than one service provider.

My basis for my position is the freedom of speech and freedom of the press in the Bill of Rights. The US Court of Appeals in Washington D.C. reviewed the FCC rules and allowed them to be upheld. This means the internet service providers will have to take the case to the  Supreme  Court, if they want to fight the rules. The decision was to treat internet service providers like the older phone companies, which had a monopoly because of the landlines for telephones. (Fung)

The internet service providers argued that the rules violated the first amendment for freedom of speech. They argued that they make speech when they choose how to carry content over their networks. And they also claimed the regulations would impact their network upgrades, resulting in “bad internet speed/performance”. (Fung)

In conclusion the case is still being argued, and the FCC rules are in place which provides full access to the internet. The internet service providers are now paying lobbyist to change the FCC rules or laws to allow them to restrict customers.

I sent a suggestion over Discord to the directors, saying we should support net neutrality by adding a redirect on the homepage (until July 13th) to something like this. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/LivestreamFail/

76561198028549341.pngAddFriend.png

Something interesting is supposed to go here.

Posted  Edited by CNe7532294 - Edit Reason: Dam auto correct

F

Honestly I don't know if I should support or not. I'm for open intenet, no spying without a warrant, no restrictions. I have yet to see a link to a piece of serious legislation that even consider those concepts under the title "net neutrality" or whatever law is on the books. Net neutrality feels like the "whats in" buzzword of today to start a bunch of crap that gets us nowheresville. The only thing I have seen against my ideals were the bad pieces of legislation that was SOPA and PIPA that we fought and temporarily won against. Besides, the way I see it, this isn't going away anytime soon. Win or lose this, shitters will still find ways to take away our internet freedom. I cite Europe's "hate speech monitoring" laws and our own "in the interest of national security" excuse. I am no lawyer and only a lawyer can tell you if this whole movement is bs or not. I currently get the "it depends" response. They've told me that they can produce work arounds or create things that are non binding. (ie. adding clauses for the common excuse of national security, preventing hate speech, protecting the community, etc.)

On 7/12/2017 at 0:34 PM, CrusTi said:

I wrote a paper on this a while back:

Net Neutrality

On February 26, 2015, the FCC's Open Internet rules were created to protect free expression on the Internet and promote investment in the nation's broadband networks. The Open Internet rules are based on Title II of the Communications Act and Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. The FCC rules provides framework needed for innovators and investors, and the competitive choices and freedom demanded by consumers. The rules prevented internet service providers from restricting content or reducing speed for content they do not own. (Open Internet)

In conclusion the case is still being argued, and the FCC rules are in place which provides full access to the internet. The internet service providers are now paying lobbyist to change the FCC rules or laws to allow them to restrict customers.

Hats off to you for trying to make sense of this. Still, with any paper/essay there needs to be a citation. Can I see those pl0x?

PS: Speaking of the FCC I wish they would one day get rid of licensing for FM on 88MHz to 108MHz as well as AM. Radio is dying with local stations burning #1 songs or has been songs down to the ground (aka playing the same shit over and over every 10-15mins). We also have internet radio connecting us towards a broader spectrum of listening to tunes we actually like. If I want to listen to songs with or without ad revenue I can just hook up my 3.5mm mobile device to the aux port in my car or "bluetooth" it if I feel like a filthy casual that doesn't care about being an audiophile.

Edited by CNe7532294
Dam auto correct

We all start out as idealists only to slowly but surely become realists one day, the likes of which we'd never imagine we would become. Meanwhile we stare back at new idealists and see a reflection of what we once were.

Facing reality to get through life.

:cockatiel: I drink birds alive and whole while petting them :cockatiel:

devolver_future_future_gif_by_digi_matri

Posted  Edited by Joshy

Freedom of Speech?  I'm not so sure.  I don't see anyone claiming the first with other means of communication such as the television, their cellulars, or even carrier mail.  Nobody - including myself - wants to pay more for easier access, but I don't think it's unconstitutional.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

On 12.07.2017 at 5:31 PM, Benroyjam said:

If FCC ends Net Neutrality, it will allow ISP to block any sites as they'd like, as well, as rigging your internet speed which makes you pay more speed to be "faster". Or if they'd like, ISP can block GFL.

Legally that's just like taxi drivers who take a longer route than necessary.

You don't need "Net Neutrality" as long as there is an organ for consumer protection.

17 minutes ago, TSARGA said:

Legally that's just like taxi drivers who take a longer route than necessary.

You don't need "Net Neutrality" as long as there is an organ for consumer protection.

Its not a longer route if they block a site, its like driving for an hour, returning to the starting point and asking for money.

And the consumer protection *is* net neutrality.

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $943 ($530 with sales)
  • Games owned: 174
  • Games played: 112 (64%)
  • Hours on record: 5,797.5h

Posted  Edited by TSARGA
1 hour ago, Twig said:

And the consumer protection *is* net neutrality.

Net Neutrality is a tool (just like any other law).

What about the Federal Trade Commission? If they have the right to intervene, then Net Neutrality is totally unnecessary.

P.S. I'm not 'murican so excuse me for my lack of knowledge lol

Edited by TSARGA

I just got an email from one of South Carolina Congressmen, Jeff Duncan. He replied back and told me that he supports Net Neutrality. FCC won't be ending Net Neutrality. If anyone wants to read full email response, let me know, I'll share.

76561198043643390.png

3 hours ago, Benroyjam said:

I just got an email from one of South Carolina Congressmen, Jeff Duncan. He replied back and told me that he supports Net Neutrality. FCC won't be ending Net Neutrality. If anyone wants to read full email response, let me know, I'll share.

May you please share this with us?

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

3 hours ago, Benroyjam said:

Share it.