annoying furry

Expanding the Council

12 minutes ago, Joshy said:

It's just something to think about.

The Council position I think a lot of people are applying for... it's the Council position they remember back from Community Advisors, Forum Moderators, or the Council position on the prior forums.  You saw people really making involved decisions, champion their ideas while firmly challenging anything they opposed.  I remember among the first threads "The GMOD Problem" and my answer to the other advisors was "What are you going to do about it?"  This wasn't a team of people who were fulfilling a title or role, but they were already glowing and given a little bit more leverage to amplify something they already had (not that you cannot learn, but give them and yourself something to work off of).  The team seemed quite happy and I saw a lot of promise for the community; they'd be willing to try new things, risk failure, and accept the compromise of their decisions.

This "Council" position you've seen, and the one of previous forums...  the one you've seen people demoted from, and constantly step down from it over and over again... it has a high attrition rate and leadership never seems to reveal satisfaction.  Is there unrealistic expectations?  I don't know what's going on although I have my own ideas.  I cannot deny my disappointment for the few who remain (Darkling has always known I've admired him as a person), but I don't see champions very much anymore.  They're spectators of a slow decay, and I would imagine it's not very exciting.  It's not watching grass grow.  It's worse: It's watching grass rot.

As usual: I want you to prove me wrong (oh no!  a meme!).  I'm not entitled to this, but it sure would be nice.  Apply for it with this in mind if you really want it.  This is just a gaming community, but I've applied these strategies to my real life opportunities and they definitely work!   I was explaining exactly this to a coworker the other day before leaving on a positive note- people literally clapped, shook my hand, and told me they had never seen anything like it before.

I couldn't agree any more.  You and I have had conversations about this, and man, it's a different world.

That being said, for anyone that acually does care, I did apply, because why not try and fix things.  But, due to "issues with managers", I doubt it will go much further.  But, as they say, you can't bitch without trying, so here I am trying.

Hopefully whoever they pick invokes a change around here...

wEEZhpy.jpg.54370668acb451a1bac8a5011679ce7b.jpg 

(Made by @Rose, thx :D)

[Former]- Breach Admin, OLD Purge SR. Admin, HnS admin, GMOD Murder admin, GMOD JB Admin, TTT Admin, Forum Moderator, Discord Moderator, Public Relations Team Member, Media Team Member

I'm out

I think we all know where this is going

time to shitpost an application and it actually get taken seriously.

jinnd1.png

Posted  Edited by Joshy

So far: The feedback is looking pretty good.  My hair is thinking about campaigning for Council and would like to thank its sponsors at L'Oreal.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Best of luck to all the applicants. Whoever gets it will deserve it :)

Hope your day has been good so far, go ahead and move onto the next comment, I got nothin' for you anymore :) 

Posted  Edited by Clufyretard

good luck to all of the applicants

564022-new-funny-spongebob-wallpaper-1920x1080-for-android-tablet.jpg

Edited by Clufyretard

Admin on Hide and Seek, Former Operator on Death-run, Former Member Acceptor. 

tumblr_ojxz21XTtb1vnqmpbo1_500.gif

I have an additional suggestion if you haven't started your projects yet: Have the candidates facilitate a team in their project.  They're of more value to you if they can drive the team, delegate tasks, and mitigate or recover from failure.  I've seen a lot of very talented employees become terrible leaders where they'd be the only one on the team who could do anything; I've also seen the converse such that someone who wasn't really that great support a strong team.  A stronger team typically boosts each member within the team regardless of their title, and so maybe the team members would make great candidates for future roles too (cycle of leadership).

I think this'll really combat one of the issues with the Council positions: It has become more of a reward and title for the individual rather than a resource for the community.  Of course: The benefit to the individual should it be a resourceful position is they get to create the community they've always wanted and more easily realize their goals; they certainly have more swing on topics and can make it happen.  It's not to suggest that you cannot do it without the title and permissions, but you'll really want to amplify something you can work with (something they've already got - something good).

One question I've got for the candidates who are applying... and you don't need to answer me... it's something for you to ask and answer to yourself: What have I done?  Am I applying because I want to step up?  Why didn't I step up before?  We've seen a bunch of people "mysteriously" improve when they know they are being considered for a position.  Maybe if you don't get it this round...  would you continue?  You can get it later or find your way around.

Posted  Edited by CrusTi
5 hours ago, Joshy said:

I have an additional suggestion if you haven't started your projects yet: Have the candidates facilitate a team in their project.  They're of more value to you if they can drive the team, delegate tasks, and mitigate or recover from failure.  I've seen a lot of very talented employees become terrible leaders where they'd be the only one on the team who could do anything; I've also seen the converse such that someone who wasn't really that great support a strong team.  A stronger team typically boosts each member within the team regardless of their title, and so maybe the team members would make great candidates for future roles too (cycle of leadership).

I think this'll really combat one of the issues with the Council positions: It has become more of a reward and title for the individual rather than a resource for the community.  Of course: The benefit to the individual should it be a resourceful position is they get to create the community they've always wanted and more easily realize their goals; they certainly have more swing on topics and can make it happen.  It's not to suggest that you cannot do it without the title and permissions, but you'll really want to amplify something you can work with (something they've already got - something good).

One question I've got for the candidates who are applying... and you don't need to answer me... it's something for you to ask and answer to yourself: What have I done?  Am I applying because I want to step up?  Why didn't I step up before?  We've seen a bunch of people "mysteriously" improve when they know they are being considered for a position.  Maybe if you don't get it this round...  would you continue?  You can get it later or find your way around.

You know, this is a really good point and I am surprised I didn't realize I do this same thing at work. When I am Training New Production Employees at Krispy Kreme, I have them work a shift with every other Production Employee and ask the Productions guys if the new guy was able to work together well and adjust easily with their ways of running the shift. I do this since I train everyone to find their own groove, (aka, Do things their way to allow them to show their full potential). If everyone is on board with he new guy I ask myself "were they able to retain information and learn new ways of doing things from working with others?" If the answer is yes then I feel that they would be a good edition to the team and NOT FIRE them. Of course there are other areas I view before determining to keep or fire a employee. My point is, joshy suggestion applies to real life work and does not fail.

I would like to add something to this. Who ever gets to stage 2, interview and what not. But, the people you feel would make a good edition to the council team, should have a trial (without rank) and work on a project or two with the current council. Find people who work well, efficiently, and challenge the majority, when working with the council and other trials.

Edited by CrusTi

1 hour ago, Jerry Hat Trick said:

Well, I can assume 1 position is filled...no need to say who will get it, as it's pretty obvious, and expected.

Prepare for the unexpected then I guess. 

Achievements

I would imagine that if there were more than two really good candidates, that they'd be willing to bend around their guidelines a little bit.  The council / community advisor role has historically been challenging to maintain here with a high attrition rate and number of demotions.  It's really not a position you can have too many good people in.

10 hours ago, Daddyling said:

Prepare for the unexpected then I guess. 

if "unexpected" how do ik who the peeps are that you be looking at?

Achievements