Bue.

What's your experience with a VR set? Is it worth the money?

Does anyone have this type of VR set, or any other type? Do you recommended it? Why or why not?

I want to consider putting my time and money into one of these sets, because I have all of the designated games for it.. but is it worth it?

What's your experience or take upon this topic?

I've tried a different one I think it's suppose to be similar: Microsoft HoloLens it's used for AR/MR.  It was surprisingly impressive.  My frustration with it is that it's difficult to pick up the hand gestures; however: it did a great job following my eyes.  I think the much lower price and the controllers on Oculus one might help solve the problem.

I feel like one of my ears are like a little bit lower or crooked or something...  glasses are not comfortable.  The straps also kind of snag the lengthy hair.  Have you tried another type of VR or similar headset?

Common problem I've heard from other people should you choose to get one...  for some reason people think they can just fall back or fall forward and they'll be fine because it's VR.  I've heard it too many to not say anything about it.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Interesting. Thanks for getting back to me, Joshy. I would figure that the headset wouldn't be too comfortable or how it may tug the hair, but I didn't exactly think of that entirely until you brought it up. Both are definitely something to reconsider with.

11 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Have you tried another type of VR or similar headset?

I have not, this would be my first time.

Posted  Edited by Joshy

If you want to try something cheap and easy I liked the Google cardboard one.  Nothing too fancy it was like an airplane game you just fly around.  The box just sits on top of your phone with an app, but was still enjoyable.

This is not my own video I just searched for it online- picked a random one that looked right.  No doubt you're not going to get hundreds of dollars worth of VR from this one, but I'd say you'd get your money's worth for the tens of dollars this was.  (I thought it was like $10, but when I looked it up I only found $25).  Might also be good to see if you might get dizzy from this stuff too.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I got an Oculus Rift S and I absolutely love it. 

It was like nothing I had ever experienced, it's not something that can be shown. You really just have to try it.

Audio is fantastic and FOV is larger than the older generations.

Takes maybe a day or two to get used to moving without actually moving, can cause nausea and loss of balance.

Games like Half Life: Alyx, offer more options to avoid these symptoms such as blink movement if you find it difficult to use normal motion.

I find it pretty comfortable even with large glasses and long hair, never had it get caught on anything.

The money is a big turn off and I wouldn't even call it 'worth it' in my opinion but it truly is fantastic. But if you got some extra dime, it's fun.

Achievements

YES. 100% YES. 

I got an Oculus Rift S back in July of 2020. As long as you have the appropriate space for it, it's fantastic. I became a huge VR enthusiast because of this. And if you already have a bunch of VR games at your disposal, you're already in good shape. It's immersive, it burns calories, and it's incredibly fun. 10/10 would recommend VR to anyone interested. 

Regarding my specific headset, I love it. I thought the price was great for what it offered. Oculus recently released the Quest 2, which allows both wireless play and PC-powered play for a grand total of $300, a hundred bucks cheaper than the Rift S. I'd do research on which headset you want to fit your budget, but if you have the money to spend, I think most people would agree that Valve's Index is definitely the way to go. 

JerryBomb.png.e376b34f3abbf909e911ca905e69e9b5.png.148c6b4cfc47ce26dbdfacd59a6ef633.pngCreative Team of GFL.

That's it.

Achievements

I personally have a Vive (pretty expensive) and have also used a Quest, they are both pretty high quality.

VR itself is a really unique experience that I personally have spent many hours in. I would recommend it based on my experience however the price (at least for my headset) was quite stiff.

Seems like the newer headsets (Quest 2 for example) are both more feature-packed and cheaper but may have a slightly lower resolution, so ultimately whilst I would recommend getting at least a headset it depends on what quality you want.

I'm going to have to disagree with Joshy on getting a Google Cardboard, you really can't compare them in terms of the quality or feel. Perhaps it can see if you get motion sick but even then the Cardboard runs with a different screen setup.

tl;dr VR is good and if you can afford it then definitely worth getting imo

I have an Oculus quest 2 and I know that is really easy to use and set up but I have never tried the rift.

But VR is VR and I find it really fun to use no matter what you have and if you're gonna want to play lots of VR id suggest I high quality one like this but if you're not going to play it for so long or not much id suggest getting one that isn't so expensive.

But yea that's just my take on it.

Enchantment table.PNG

I've spent Hundreds of hours using the Vive along with Valve index headset. In my opinon the Valve index even though is more than most it is the best option. The controllers for the controllers for the index alone fit more comfortable along with having finger trackers. Where as other controllers dont have finger tracking. If you plan on using VR for multiple hours the steam vr was way more lighter. Most of the people i've talked to prefer to use the Vive with index controllers. Index controllers work on the vive headset so if you want a good headset the vive is the way to go with index controllers. Then eventually getting full body.

I have an oculus Rift S its really good and you dont have to set up cameras all around you its really easy to use and set up. The hand controls are small and good and also really easy to grip and use i would recommend 100% it also goes around for 300$ but also depends were you get it from. Cant say i have a-lot experience but from the little experience i have using it its fun. Also what games you got i wanna play some VR with you😊

Anime Girl With Guns HD Wallpaper | 1920x1080 | ID:54291 ...image.png.018c2bec0bc893323126922a376dba1f.png

Ocean Sunsets Wallpaper | Sunset wallpaper, Beach sunset wallpaper ...

1 minute ago, VapZ. said:

Also what games you got i wanna play some VR with you

The Forest, Phasmaphobia, Subnautica, and I plan on getting Beat Saber :))

I haven't had anything from Oculus, but I have had a Vive since its release, and a Valve Index for around 1½ years (I think). They have both served me very well so far. The Index is of course the winner with its higher resolution, framerate, and the finger-tracking controllers. I also somewhat recently bought some optic lenses to insert into them so I don't have to use glasses while in VR. This improved my experience a lot; definitely do that if you're blind like me. 😛

I have mostly played Beat Saber tbh which is very fun, but I finally got around to play Half-Life: Alyx. It is truly an experience, and I was very very impressed. Something everyone should at least try at some point. I really hope to see more titles such as HL:A, which is probably more likely as VR becomes less expensive. But there are plenty of cool titles to play around with. Another neat benefit is that you're not sitting on your ass when you play, haha. I would definitely say VR in general is worth the money. The Index is quite expensive, but their controllers are so nice. Not sure how many other finger-tracking controllers there are, but if you can get that, get it!

All in all, if you have the money, definitely get it! 😃

Wanna know what I am up to? Take a look at my personal Trello board or my cards on the Development Trello board!

I only ever owned an Oculus Rift S and honestly it's magnificent,,,,, if it weren't for facebook forcing you to link your facebook account (when they're gonna get rid of oculus accounts next year)

It's honestly a great headset and the controllers are fine too

I've played a large variety of games like,

Pavlov, TWD Saints and Sinners, Boneworks, beat saber, Pistol whip, half life Alyx, The forest, Phasmophobia, and Arizona Sunshine. (and a few more)

Half life alyx is one of the most incredible VR experiences I ever had. (and I didn't really play the other HL games to completion)

Now, when I first played VR, I didn't really get used to it right off the bat, I actually ended up in the Emergency Room for extreme motion sickness after the second night of owning my Oculus rift. (I was playing Arizona Sunshine, using the actual look around movement instead of teleporting)
I've come to overcome the motion sickness but there are times where I feel woozy after playing some games with lots of movement.

I'd say it's worth to get into VR right now, even if there aren't THAT many good game titles on the level of HL:Alyx out. Though TBH I'd buy a used VR headset, make sure it's clean, clean it yourself to double check, for a cheaper price.

As much as I'd like to recommend the Oculus Rift S, I can't recommend getting an Oculus VR headset in general because of the whole facebook stuff. But if you really don't care about it, go right ahead.

Adonie Had To Do It To Em by InvalidQuestionBeanie Pup Finnick YCH by InvalidQuestion

Achievements

• Liloz01 featured and unfeatured this topic
Posted  Edited by Mavis

Having upgraded from the headset you linked in your post, the Oculus Rift CV1, I'd say skip it unless you can get it for a really good deal.

I'd highly recommend checking out the Oculus Quest 2. It's a great deal for the price and arguably offers more than other headsets like the Valve Index, Vive, or even the Rift S. It can be hooked up to a computer both using a Type-C cable or, what I think is one of its best features, wirelessly using Wi-Fi. I've exclusively been using my Quest 2 wirelessly for the past month and while it could use some work, it's pretty damn good.

Only cons I have about it are the required Facebook integration (this can be circumvented), the garbage strap it comes with to hold it on your face, the built-in speakers point outward so the people around you end up hearing more than you do, and there have been reports of some headsets having manufacturing issues with the lenses.

EDIT:
One thing I forgot to add that a couple people around here have already mentioned was resolution. Unless you have an insane graphics card, you're not going to be running the headset at it's max resolution. What's more likely to happen is SteamVR will run the game at 50-75% resolution. Now sure, the more pixels it has the less noticeable the screen door effect is but it wasn't that noticeable during gameplay on the CV1 (which is about a four year old headset now) and it definitely isn't noticeable while using the Quest 2.

Edited by Mavis