Rcool64

Guide to accepting Member Applications

Posted  Edited by Joshy

I feel like asking people to promise that they wont break the rules wont make a difference (and they'll honestly just say yes if they come back to the forums), and it'll probably frustrate them more than it will help us.  I don't think making it harder will give it anymore prestige than pencil whipping their application if they don't have anything serious and provide all of the information.

We could probably implement something more automated/systematic where players lose their membership after so many recent bans or inactivity.  I would imagine several if statements or added conditions in the coding could disable the perks (I'm not sure if the forum account or title would be as easy).  Is that reasonably possible?  This would probably give more incentive than them reflecting on their promise, and there's not much for us to do if they promise and break it.

I think looking into the VAC ban will be a little bit more difficult, but I have seen someone parse a webpage using PERL, and we could save their days into a variable for the condition just like our bans.  Python is also one hell of a parser, but I don't know how to use it for online/internet applications -- I use it as a framework for MATLAB and dabbling with some MCUs knock-off brands  of Arduino.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

• Kim pinned this topic

I agree asking them if they are going to follow the rules is stupid, most just don't care they just want the member parks so they will just say yes... (and it isn't like we remove em if they do get rebanned)

I'm the cs:s Division Leader

feel free to ask for help

I could automate member according when they logged into forums last but it will just be horrible when we have over 33,000 members. The script to check activities will take hours and it will be a pain in the arse with some people at bottom of the sql query not getting perks.

Its better like this for the future. 

I want to mention we shouldnt have to deny people that have a vacbans over 100 days old. If they have more then one maybe. But if it is there first ban, and is a old ban we shouldn't just deny it. I will also bring this up to the higher ups as I don't feel that is right to be more strict on it.

swegbuster1.png

Posted  Edited by Bae

You know, we can always reject applications that have more than the certain amount of bans. I always reject applications with more than 2-4 bans depending on how long ago the bans were. You can always limit the amount of bans. If they're really recent, you can auto-deny it as well. I think that'll be wonderfully great.

Membership isn't quite a big deal to me honestly, but unless they're applying for admin; you can check up on their words. If they applied for admin and on their application they claimed to promise the rules but after they got members, they'd banned. You can pretty much know they're not really trustworthy with their so called "claimed, yes"

Edited by Bae

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

• 4 weeks later...
Posted  Edited by Joshy

Not sure if this is a good or legit answer for this recent app...  Seeking advaice, @Rcool64 and @Dano.  I personally wont buy it because he has so few hours on these games and multiple VAC bans (not just 1), but I also don't know enough about hosting servers and how it might trigger a VAC ban.

Very few hours

DaZvMYx.png

Multiple VAC bans

5qgCCmF.png

Edited by Joshy

The guy is trying to pull the wool over your eyes here. VAC tries to find changes in the executable file, game memory or files that have been injected into game executable. It also tries to find programs that are directly interfering with the original program. If something is suspicious then it is checked against a database and one of two decisions are made automatically. If it matches the details of a known cheating program they are instantly banned, however if VAC is unsure they send it off to a valve employee who takes a further look into the program and then decides from there. At least, that was how it was explained to me and it makes a lot of sense.

So with that said, a Minecraft server will certainly not interact with any other games. If that was to happen then we'd all be banned for having things like Skype, Chrome and all of that open. MW2 is slightly different. As far as I am aware, in order to create one of these "Fun/Hacked" lobbies you must inject something into the executable to get it working which will most likely get you banned, but that only accounts for one of the bans. It also says he has Multiple bans so it's safe to assume he has 3 or more bans which in this case would most likely be MW2, TF2 and CSGO (I assume he's on about the GMod TTT server?). It unusually tells you if you have 2 or less bans with a figure. 

So, in my opinion I think it would be safe to say that he should be denied since he's trying to lie about this bans. That's my opinion anyway.

11f4263ab6c30a3489f8db3145340861.png

So everyone is listing their former stuff so I'll just be cool and list mine :3

Former @HackingPotato's White Knight and Boss Former Director Former TF2 Division Leader Former Community Advisor Former TF2 Technical Administrator Former TF2 Server Manager Former TF2 Trial Manager Former TF2 Admin Former TF2 Revivalist Former TF2 Player Former TF2 God Former Media Leaderish Former somewhat Media team person Former VIP Former Supporter Former Member Former TF2 Player Former Player

11 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

The guy is trying to pull the wool over your eyes here. VAC tries to find changes in the executable file, game memory or files that have been injected into game executable. It also tries to find programs that are directly interfering with the original program. If something is suspicious then it is checked against a database and one of two decisions are made automatically. If it matches the details of a known cheating program they are instantly banned, however if VAC is unsure they send it off to a valve employee who takes a further look into the program and then decides from there. At least, that was how it was explained to me and it makes a lot of sense.

So with that said, a Minecraft server will certainly not interact with any other games. If that was to happen then we'd all be banned for having things like Skype, Chrome and all of that open. MW2 is slightly different. As far as I am aware, in order to create one of these "Fun/Hacked" lobbies you must inject something into the executable to get it working which will most likely get you banned, but that only accounts for one of the bans. It also says he has Multiple bans so it's safe to assume he has 3 or more bans which in this case would most likely be MW2, TF2 and CSGO (I assume he's on about the GMod TTT server?). It unusually tells you if you have 2 or less bans with a figure. 

So, in my opinion I think it would be safe to say that he should be denied since he's trying to lie about this bans. That's my opinion anyway.

Welp, that's what I was thinking.  Thanks for your insight.  I'm going to reject it.

So i've read and talked to otaku about this thread

But I need to know one thing to confirm. Can we still deny Trolls? Because in the past we did that, but I am unaware whether or whether not that is still a rule for the new system. When I literally mean troll, I literally mean like either they advertise, made a app to report an admin, only words in the app is either/or nigger or faggot or anything racist/target another player... or along the lines. Do we still either way accept the application despite the reasoning is just stupid?

P.S. Dano please don't correct my spelling, grammar, and punctuation. thank you.

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Rcool64
9 hours ago, Bae said:

So i've read and talked to otaku about this thread

But I need to know one thing to confirm. Can we still deny Trolls? Because in the past we did that, but I am unaware whether or whether not that is still a rule for the new system. When I literally mean troll, I literally mean like either they advertise, made a app to report an admin, only words in the app is either/or nigger or faggot or anything racist/target another player... or along the lines. Do we still either way accept the application despite the reasoning is just stupid?

P.S. Dano please don't correct my spelling, grammar, and punctuation. thank you.

Well yes, but it can't necissarily be due to the reasoning. For now, you'll have to know if they have a reputation of a troll to ban them (unless the reason is CLEARLY obvious)

Overall, Cyphers message was to be less strict. 

Edited by Rcool64

76561198088916523.png

I have another question regarding Member applications.

Is it possible for non-member staff or non-staff in general for them to stop posting in member apps? I've been noticing few that were having a conversation. While others just pointing out "Oh you're not going to get admin!" or whatnot. Making the player feel like they're not welcome at all. And I'm actually referring to Dipper. He did that to someone's member app. I am unsure if the person is upset about it or not, but from reading it. I'm pretty sure it's not a good start.

They keep making false assumption and causing drama in member apps. When it's actually the staff or member-staff's job to do them. I know they're trying to help, but it's not going very well.

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

34 minutes ago, Bae said:

I have another question regarding Member applications.

Is it possible for non-member staff or non-staff in general for them to stop posting in member apps? I've been noticing few that were having a conversation. While others just pointing out "Oh you're not going to get admin!" or whatnot. Making the player feel like they're not welcome at all. And I'm actually referring to Dipper. He did that to someone's member app. I am unsure if the person is upset about it or not, but from reading it. I'm pretty sure it's not a good start.

They keep making false assumption and causing drama in member apps. When it's actually the staff or member-staff's job to do them. I know they're trying to help, but it's not going very well.

Not a bad idea, I'de message denros bout that

76561198088916523.png

45 minutes ago, myPHART said:

I'm looking to become a member acceptor. Trying to be more active on the forums, looking to contribute too.

You can ask denros. But I was told division leaders can also assign member acceptors, so you can see if they can assign you one. But it's best to ask Denros or any council. Denros is in charge of member applications c:

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

I have a few questions

1-If someone is a VIP should I accept or let a higher up take care?

2-If someone has 10+ bans, should I insta-deny or ask if they will promise to follow the rules?

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png
image.png.c3ced03940ca3f9bff0b8c6b1b425d4f.png