Roasted_Rabbit

Replace extend (9) with (4) during map votes

In the spirit of beating maps and not just changing them in the middle:

- can you change the voting map list so that (4) is extend instead of (9)

New players have the tendency to spam 4 regardless of the map options and barely any good map gets extended anymore

4 minutes ago, Potti said:

then let's place extend randomly like other nominations. ez.

So you are concerned about people over-extending maps?

GFL players already rtv maps that were either just beaten or the team is failing every round. That said, the duration of most maps would likely not change. However, this would help with multi-level maps when the team is making progress but majority of players don't realize that the last levels are usually the ones worth trying

2 minutes ago, kikofly said:

Maps are meant to be played 20min max, plus changing them won’t do as much because run-off vote exists.

The 20 min limitation makes sense for shorter maps, but there are a plenty of good maps (especially those with 3+ levels) which are impossible to complete in 20 min

Regarding the run-off vote, I've almost never seen (5) win (and (4) becomes the top-voted map from the 1st iteration), so not sure what is the value in having that 2nd vote

its the choice of the players if they want to extend a map. if they truly want to extend and beat it, then they'll go the extra reach of hitting 9 instead.

the run off vote is there incase some people want to make a second decision on whether they want to continue the map or change it

I know it sounds hard but  we have about 25 minutes to beat the map and 3 extends. (1 extend = 20 minutes).  So there is question. Are you sure that 85 minutes it is not anough to beat any map? If you still cant beat any level / stage on maps it means that team is not ready or nobody wants to tryhard anymore. Moreover if this map is  really difficult, higher admins will make a decision to extend. Or to bring this map to future event. In my point of view 90 minutes is more than anough to beat every single map (especially santa ex3 or convoy). And zombie escape it is not only ze_FFVII_MAKO_Reactor or ze_Santasasination it is a lot of really cool casual maps such as lostworld, jurassicpark, ice cap (THE GREATEST MAP 100/10). And if server will play everyday 3-4 tryhard maps and spend 100+ minutes to beat it nobody will join except tryhard players. I think you understood my opinion. BLYAD 

4 hours ago, OLIVKA said:

I know it sounds hard but  we have about 25 minutes to beat the map and 3 extends. (1 extend = 20 minutes).  So there is question. Are you sure that 85 minutes it is not anough to beat any map? If you still cant beat any level / stage on maps it means that team is not ready or nobody wants to tryhard anymore. Moreover if this map is  really difficult, higher admins will make a decision to extend. Or to bring this map to future event. In my point of view 90 minutes is more than anough to beat every single map (especially santa ex3 or convoy). And zombie escape it is not only ze_FFVII_MAKO_Reactor or ze_Santasasination it is a lot of really cool casual maps such as lostworld, jurassicpark, ice cap (THE GREATEST MAP 100/10). And if server will play everyday 3-4 tryhard maps and spend 100+ minutes to beat it nobody will join except tryhard players. I think you understood my opinion. BLYAD 

He is talking about the menu you see when voting, not the amount of extends you get for a map. 9 is the menu selection for extends on each map vote, he wants to switch it to 4.

m8YD3waBSPCsYzvwLDcj_donald%20trump%20el

I think that changing extend to option 4 would sometimes help to get difficult maps extended when players just need a little more time to  beat a part they're stuck on, but I think that during times that there are less experienced players on it would also lead to only one non-extend option in the runoff vote which I don't think is worth it personally.

+1

We need to fix this mentality of only playing maps for 20 min then moving on. There are so many maps that  deserve to be played all the way through to get the true experience of ZE. Playing level 1-3 on a 5 level map is just boring especially if you have a team that may not be good but defiantly learning from a good leader. Also if a team really did not want to play a map they can always rtv as the majority of players don't really care about what map to play (hence why they spam 4).

17 hours ago, Roasted_Rabbit said:

So you are concerned about people over-extending maps?

GFL players already rtv maps that were either just beaten or the team is failing every round. That said, the duration of most maps would likely not change. However, this would help with multi-level maps when the team is making progress but majority of players don't realize that the last levels are usually the ones worth trying

too much forcused for try harders

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: follow up note

I've seen what happens when staff moves forward with this suggestion: People will complain about a map being played too long or too frequent, and that noobs constantly extend the map without knowing.

I personally think a better solution would be to make the order (pseudo) random including nominations and the extend, which would be a sensible compromise between the two groups (one group complaining about noobs extending, and the other about noobs not extending) and I would imagine it would be easy to implement.

edit:

Wow: This topic is surprisingly hot.  I'd like to follow up on this without bumping it via a new post, and suggest that the TA/Developer team modify mapchooser.sp just to have several options available and ready to go.  It's not to say "Modify mapchooser.sp and install its executable right now", but just to have the .sp files available and to use it as a form of training for the growing technical team, or to even have it ready for testing for a week or two and see how your members may react to it.  I am certain the randomization or choosing constants for specific choices such as extend is only a few lines of codes and the API has a random variable function already available.  Great training or practice opportunity even if it's not used, in alignment with Roy's recent announcement, and to show an effort at satisfying your members  @Xy_, @Nick, @xSnowyAngel; furthermore: If nobody has the code available, then this would be an alternate way of advertising GFL by having it available on AlliedModders and adding subtle advertisement into the console.

Edited by Joshy
follow up note

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Posted  Edited by Roasted_Rabbit
2 hours ago, Potti said:

too much forcused for try harders

I though GFL was supposed to be a server where tryhards complete maps (while new players become better at the game). Otherwise, what distinguishes it from other servers?

Edited by Roasted_Rabbit

3 hours ago, Roasted_Rabbit said:

I though GFL was supposed to be a server where tryhards complete maps (while new players become better at the game). Otherwise, what distinguishes it from other servers?

I may be wrong, but i think the GFL server is designed for both "tryhard" players and "casual" players and most importantly players who enjoy a mix of both. What distinguishes this server from other servers is the community involved in and out of the server as well as the custom settings (such as nades, skins and chat tags)  not it's 'tryhard map focused teams'  

As for the post. I don't  think a team is ready for a map that requires an extend/s if a team is mainly compromised of players that just spam 4 no matter what the map, instead of taking the time to contemplate extending by simply pressing 9. 

1 hour ago, 1mpact said:

I may be wrong, but i think the GFL server is designed for both "tryhard" players and "casual" players and most importantly players who enjoy a mix of both. What distinguishes this server from other servers is the community involved in and out of the server as well as the custom settings (such as nades, skins and chat tags)  not it's 'tryhard map focused teams'  

As for the post. I don't  think a team is ready for a map that requires an extend/s if a team is mainly compromised of players that just spam 4 no matter what the map, instead of taking the time to contemplate extending by simply pressing 9. 

There is community involvement across many good servers (if you refer to server maintenance, up-to-date forums, weekly events, new map testing) both in CSGO and CSS. Also, from what I've seen, GFL has fairly small amount of customization in terms of skins and "coloring" compared to other servers, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Sure, but the team is usually good enough. When your current map score is like 2-0 or 3-1 and people don't extend, it'd be hard to convince me that the team can't at least get close to beating a map. If this was happening once in a while, fine. But this is becoming a standard on GFL, which I've never seen on other servers (maybe only on Net4All but then the admins would always follow up with extend vote and 80+ % of the people would vote to extend the map even though they voted a new map just a min ago)