Guest SkydivingSquid

Stepping down

Guest SkydivingSquid
Posted  Edited by SkydivingSquid

Hello friends,

After spending the last 8 weeks in Officer training, I've put a lot of thought into this decision and looking at my life, habits, and future, must resign my position and step down from being a Server Manager. I cannot in good conscious remain a Server Manager when I am no longer doing what is needed and/or expected of someone with that title. Though I would love to remain an active participant in this community, I cannot in good faith do so as a Server Manager, as I feel it would be both dishonest and a disservice to the community and my staff who expect more from someone fulfilling that role. I no longer manage server files and I no longer find the idea of answering dozens of reports per game appealing as I once did and as we expect our Admin to do. 

I can honestly say giving up the community will be the hardest part. I have come to enjoy my staff more than anything. Being a part of the discussions, being a guiding voice and sometimes the voice of reason, and managing new applications has been tremendously rewarding, as has managing the forums on GFL (I am OCD and like to keep forums clean). I've loved every second of it. 

My fear is that if I remain a 
Server Manager, I may become as addicted as I was prior to Officer training, which may in turn lead to me putting on the weight I've worked so hard to lose and procrastinating on running, reading, homework, and family. Before I went to Officer Training, I was easily spending more than 10 hours a day or more on the server and forums. It is incredibly fun, but the happiness is shallow and short lived. I don't see how it can possibly benefit me in my career as a Naval Officer or my life goals, and staying a Server Manager just to keep my spot in the discord is dishonest and does everyone here a disservice..

As I said, this is an incredibly hard decision, as I will be giving up the one thing I've always loved more than anything in GFL, and that is the staff and teams discord, but that is the price I am willing to pay to remain honest with myself, my team, and the community in that, as a
Server Manager, I am no longer fulfilling the role that the GFL Directorate or my Division Leader would expect of me. As an aside, having two Server Managers at the same time was never a good idea. Though @MilkMan and I did work well together, and I would back him up every step of the way, our staff often would "mom and pop" us to get their way, which is not the right way to go about things. 

I will look back fondly on the memories I've had with GFL TTT.

I've had more fun here than I could have ever imagined (even if I am still absolutely horrible at the game and still play on a MacBook Pro using a trackpad). 

I've loved working beside each of you as a part of the team. I've loved our discussions, our memes, and even our overly heated emotional team wide debates about rules, other Admin, and that infuriating hacker we have all come to love and hate. Promoting and training new Admin has always been tremendously rewarding and watching new additions to the server crash and burn as we try to fix the bugs only to destroy the server (on several occasions) has been more than a good time :P I hope you can reflect as positively on your time on the server and in this community as I can, and I hope my being here as helped influence your experience in a positive way!  

I believe I will still hop on from time to time and may very well continue to frequent the discord. If I could do so in another way, I absolutely would, but as I have already said, I simply cannot as a 
Server Manager. I have a really hard time accepting the idea of stepping out of the staff and team discords which have afforded me by far the most entertainment you could ever imagine. You guys are outstanding and I love each of you! But believe me, this is the right thing to do. I wish each and every one of you the very best and nothing, but the brightest future for GFL! Thank you for affording me this outstanding opportunity and many of the best memories! 

🦑

Edited by SkydivingSquid

That is a the longest I've seen. Good luck on your future endeavors. It's understandable that you're very busy especially since you're like part of the military and that you have a family as well. Please do be safe and visit us from time to time!

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

I just sent that message to you, not even knowing that you were writing this. I only knew you for a very short time, but in that short time you managed to ingrain advice into my  mind that shall stay there for a long time. Thank you again, your lifestyle and mindset I find to be inspirational. I'm sure it wasn't just like that for me either.

Have fun on your adventures, Mr Calamari!

Achievements

I didn't know you for too long either, But when you came in to help the TTT rotation staff during our mini crisis I noticed the ambition  and  work you put in Im glad we have had someone like you to care for this community, and for that I thank you and wish you good luck in the future. ❤️ 

I only try to accept the exceptional staff, seems you turned out to be just that. You’ve helped with many things and taught me things too. You indeed put a lot of time in the server and I felt bad because I hadn’t put much effort and time at the time. 

I’m not sure if I will put as much as you did because as soon as this whole COVID-19 deal is over, I will be putting in more time and effort into my career that was suspended. 

Thanks for the help when you did step up as Server Manager during my troubled times, I had a lot going on with a claim and work. 

Anyway, good luck in the Navy. I know you’ll live a happy life sticking away from video games and enjoying family and friends. 

P.S. The TTT family never forgets and always welcomes you back!

giphyMilkMan.gif.fb5ae94508aa4d64ac8cb43f19d36ff4.gif

Man, sure is one hell of a day for stepping down/resigning, eh? Join the club with @JGuary551 and I.

But for real, best of luck to you man, you did a great job as manager. Good luck with training and stay safe 🙂

I remember you when you were just Member/VIP and you were always a good boy.

P.S.
Thanks for not reporting me when I threw a discomb in nether for fun and killing you and some random
I always knew you had big pp

unknown.png.3804adb81bcedc6c6c564f1dc9fcbf01.png

Achievements

Sad days squidward, though video games & playing does have to come to an end at some point (or maybe organized in a way so it doesn't become the #1 consumer of your time), hope you have a good life my dude and definitely have your kids come and play on GFL ;)

Former Gmod Prop Hunt Admin

Former Media Team Team Leader

Former Media Team GFX Member